Search This Blog

Thursday, April 11, 2013

How good is Christ University, Bangalore, esp. for a BSc degree?

It's been one year since I joined this college for a BSc course, and I will tell you my honest opinions about this college, because I want you to get your facts right and be careful lest you fall into a trap without enough information.

I am very passionate about physics and I had this dream of getting into the Massachusetts Institute of Technology there at the United States but it was too great an ambition for me and I could not realise this dream unless I first got an undergraduate degree from India, then maybe I thought I could apply for a graduate program there later on. That would be more affordable I thought.

(By the way, I became a fan of MIT after I watched some really awesome lectures by Prof. Walter Lewin from the MIT OpenCourseWare website. I highly recommend you to watch them.)

THE GREATEST MISTAKE I DID WAS BEING AWFULLY LESS INFORMED! You ought to do a lot of research before you join any college, which I did not do. I applied to a lot of colleges here at Bangalore, but when I entered the campus of Christ University, I was blinded by its awesome infrastructure and greenery. The campus was so well maintained, and as I went inside the Central Block in order to get the admission form, I was mesmerised by the looks of the walls, the lifts and the shining floor. I even liked the bathroom a lot. I wished in my heart and prayed that I should get admitted only in this college and nowhere else.

Even today I have positive feelings towards the campus and infrastructure of Christ University. There's everything: the Bird's Park, the gym and even a small kind of a mall inside Gourmet. And you have nice food courts too. I love that aspect of Christ University. Sit in the park under the shades after lunch and plug some music into your ears, and enjoy the fresh wind blowing at you. That's a nice feeling.

By the way I got admitted into St. Joseph's  college too, and I even attended one class there. But I din't like the classroom there, nor the campus. I din't even know there was an observatory in that college, and it was much better than Christ University in terms of science studies. I thought after all Christ is ranked as one of the top ten colleges in India and by the looks of it, it ought to be much better than this.

I was wrong. I made the dumbest decision of my life. First of all, there is no Physics honors here. You have to give equal weightage on all the three subjects (Physics, Math and Chemistry/Electronics). And it's a damn three years course which is in no ways equivalent to a US bachelor's degree.

See I'm fcuked up now!

I ought to have applied for an honors course in Bangalore University, if I had to stay here at all. They have this four years integrated BS course quite similar to that of IISc but much more easier to get into. I met two students taking this course a few months back, and I learned that they were doing a project in which they were trying to build a cyclotron under the guidance of their teacher and funded by the university because there's a lot of money going into it. That was so cool. Do you know what we do here at Christ University?

We come to class only for the sake of attendance and meeting our friends. That's all. Even most of my classmates are nerds basically. But don't you ever think they are intelligent intellectuals or something, because they are not. They mug up formulas and stuff, cram up all the notes fed by teachers for the sake of passing the semester, and may be getting good decent marks sometimes. But that is all they do, these goddamn slaves of teachers! I do not see education here. (I must tell you I have some exceptional friends though.)

And the teachers, I should tell you about them. The entire Physics department is full of shit people, hypocrites basically! There is only one exception to them I think. He never came to teach us Physics, but I found the passion in him, the craving for knowledge that defines a scientist. I like him. Apart from him, the others are just plain bull's shit, trust me. If you love Physics, for God's sake, never come here. You might end up losing your interest in Physics at all.

The Mathematics department is better though. They have a monopoly here in all things. And they offer you an honors course too. I have no complains against this department. (Mind you! There are exceptions in every damn thing in this world.)

I think apart from the department I am most interested in, the other ones such as humanities and management etc are really awesome. I only came across the English department because I have to learn this subject for the first four semesters, and I loved the teachers. They are just so awesome people, so passionate about their work and really wise educated beings who can inspire you to do something.

I think if you are doing anything besides science, I must recommend Christ University to you. (I don't take the responsibility though.)

By the way, I must tell you the Library here is really good. If you genuinely want some education, you find it here only.

This is my experience at Christ University after one year. Hoping to see better things from next semester.

2 comments:

  1. Dude. People at the Uni are not going to like this. But anyway, better waste a year than 3. And it is still better than losing interest in the subject you like/ Plus, there is a risk of your 3 year degree leading you to nowhere. Get out of there and apply to DU this year, there is going to be a BS programme.. And don't give a damn about any other mans opinion. One thing I know for sure, we should only do things which give us satisfaction and make us happy. you get ur youth and college life just ones man...I dont want u to regret later. GET OUT ! Dont worry about the money or the year loss or any reaction from your parents or anybody for that matter...Nobody's going to support you if you fail. Nobody can douse the anguish and frustration you feel..and most of all, no body can give u back ur precious time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well guess what, giving up is never an option. It's the same situation all over India. There's no utopia. We have to accept the facts. Face and acknowledge the problem! First point! Then what? Seek a solution. Well the solution is, we work hard ourselves on our own and strive for excellence. We can't expect others to spoon feed us. We work for ourselves. That's how it goes.

      I am a student of theoretical physics. There's more than enough resources for me in this institution. And recently I have realised that I have started to like this college. Coming to Bangalore was the greatest thing that could happen to me. A lot of my perceptions have changed, my priorities got messed up, my principles and values started to transform into something different. I am becoming a different person with each passing day. Life has unfolded many surprises. It's beyond my expectations.

      And as I said, I met some really great personalities in this institution. They inspire me because at some point they touched my heart by what they spoke to us, to the extent that my hairs stood straight in awe and humility. I go to class so eagerly everyday only to listen to them.

      There is good and bad in everything. I am not a quitter. I am going to enjoy my time here for the goodness that exists here. I am going to grow despite the shortcomings. :)

      Delete

Any thoughts you'd like to share?